Thursday 24 April 2014

You can have it in any colour you like, as long as it's brown...

Hello!

I thought today I'd do a quick run down of another Salute purchase I made.

Now, let me be honest here. I've tried a great many miniature cases over the years from many different manufactureres. 3/4 generation of cases from Games Workshop, (Anyone remember the single clam shell version?)  cases from the now defunct battlepack people (Charon Industries, crying shame) aluminium flight cases, Figures in Comfort cases, KR Cases, and I'm sure there's a few that I've forgotten that I can't remember who makes the damn things any more.

This is about the Malifaux branded case from Battlefoam. 



Now, I've looked at these cases many times and ultimately, the price at the time always seemed just a little too much for me to justify. Apparently when in Salute with money burning a hole in my pocket that wasn't an issue.

So here's a picture of the outside of the case.

This is the front


And this is the other front, I have no idea.

There is a document pouch under that flap, good for a slim rulebook or maybe an ipad.

Velcro of course, so you can make a loud ripping noise.

Now, if you open the Wyrd branded side first, you'll be offered a large selection of pouches suitable for keeping lots of gubbins in.
Here's a suggested load out :D

Now obviously, the pouch with clippers in it would be best served by filling it with dice, but as I'm sure you know, Malifaux doesn't use dice.


Now once you zip that back up and flip it over you can unzip the other side and get to the foam, mmmm...foam. 
This is the standard foam load out, one deep pick-n-pluck tray, one large figure tray and one smaller figure tray.  Pretty fair selection, in my opinion. 


Things I should mention about this case that are worthy of note. First thing, it's a hard shell case. You can't see it because it's covered with a nice nylon covering. Silky on the inside, hard wearing on the outside.

Secondly, the shoulder strap, it's attachment points aren't just stitched to the side. The webbing attachment points run all the way around the bottom of the bag, supporting it.

Thirdly, the grab handle. It's not just a strip of webbing or a hard plastic handle that causes a lot of hand fatigue over time.It's a slightly soft formed plastic handle over the webbing that is nicely grippy and sized without making the grip painful.

I think I paid about £35 for it, which is a bit less than a GW case goes for, but a bit more than a KR case. However, I'm pretty happy with it.

Design - 7 out of 10. It's really good, but there's one or two elements I'd change. The note pad pocket could be sized a bit more generously, the dice pocket could be removed and replaced with something a bit more helpful. But those are mostly niggles. Wish I'd had more choice in colour than brown.

Value - 7 out of 10. At £35 it's not a cheap bag, however it is sturdy and I have no doubt that it will last a very long time. I guess it's like anything, you get what you pay for.

Function - 6 out of 10.  The reason it rates so low on the function is that it could be clearer which side is foam, which side is pockets. Honestly they could have made it so that you unzip the top, and then you have a flap that lifts up and out the way. Also, I didn't have a foam topper. Now I don't know if I should have received one or not, I shall look into that, but otherwise there is no cushioning between the inside lid of the case and the miniatures.

So overall.  7 out of 10. There's a lot to like about this case, but the niggles I have with it are holding it back from a higher score.

See you later everyone!

PS, feel free to tell me about your experiences with Battlefoam cases, I'd be interested to know how you feel after using one for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment